What was the outcome in the last meeting? San Francisco 49ers 16-24 Minnesota Vikings
THE TEAM NEWS
- Minnesota produced a brilliant display as they earned a superb win in the Superdome against New Orleans and advanced to the Divisional Round thanks to their overtime victory over the Saints.
- Quarterback Kirk Cousins led his team on a fantastic drive up the pitch on the opening possession of overtime and handed the Vikings the win when he connected with tight end Kyle Rudolph in the endzone for the walk-off win.
- The Vikings will hope fellow tight end Tyler Conklin can overcome the knee injury he suffered in last week’s contest to take to the field in this game but he will not be assessed until later in the week.
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
- San Francisco were involved in another superb contest as they overcame divisional rivals Seattle to claim the NFC West title and not only a bye but also home-field advantage throughout the play-offs.
- The extra week off is a welcome one for the 49ers as it has given defensive end Dee Ford the chance to overcome his hamstring problem and the pass rusher is expected to suit up for this contest.
- In another welcome boost for the 49ers, linebacker Kwon Alexander also has a chance of returning from what initially appeared to be a season-ending torn pectoral muscle at the start of November.
Minnesota upset the odds as they overcame New Orleans last week but now face an even more difficult task against the #1 seed in the NFC. San Francisco play host to the Vikings and their refreshed team will be problematic to overcome, especially if they get more bodies healthy on defense. The Vikings showed that they could be a match for anyone on their day last week but the 49ers should be too strong on home turf and are likely to advance to the NFC Conference Championship.