What was the outcome in the last meeting? Houston Texans 31-24 Kansas City Chiefs
THE TEAM NEWS
- Houston overcame Buffalo in a thrilling wildcard contest as they fought back from 16-0 down in the third quarter to force overtime and were able to edge the victory thanks to a field goal on their second possession.
- Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson pulled off some miraculous plays including riding two tackles to find Taiwan Jones on the all-important play that set-up the game-winning field goal in overtime.
- Wide receiver Will Fuller is progressing well from his groin injury and is likely to come into contention for this one while defensive end J.J. Watt is set to receive more playing time after making his return from injury last week and he will hope to add to the sack he collected against the Bills.
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- Kansas City’s win over Los Angeles Chargers coupled with New England’s failure to beat Miami in Week 17 meant that the Chiefs ended the regular season as the #2 seed in the AFC and will come into this contest refreshed after enjoying a bye last week.
- The Chiefs lost safety Juan Thornhill for the season after he suffered an ACL injury in the final game of the regular season and they have suffered more bad news with cornerback Morris Claiborne ruled out for his fifth straight game with a shoulder injury.
- The bye week has allowed the Chiefs to get some of their players back to full fitness but they could have been hit by a huge setback as star defensive tackle Chris Jones is questionable after he was added to the injury report late in the week with a calf problem.
Houston had to show some character on a couple of occasions last week as they overcame a 16-point deficit to beat Buffalo. The class of quarterback Deshaun Watson was apparent as he guided his side to the win thanks to some brilliant individual efforts and he will be key again in a matchup against another young, gifted quarterback in Patrick Mahomes. However, the Chiefs possess the greater offensive weapons and that should see them come out on top.